Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The importance of correct bike fits

I'm kind of excited, and I've just ridden up Mt Stromlo 3 times which in itself is a first, and for me to be excited after that, it must be pretty big.

I have been riding bikes as part of Triathlon and now Valkyrie for about 3 years now. And in spite of it being my stronger leg in Triathlon, I never really went nuts about the training, because it hurt. And I'm not talking I've just sprinted and now my everything is burning and I want to vomit hurt (that's good hurt). I'm talking pain, in my left leg, knee and lower back (and that's bad hurt).

I have a 16 year history of a bad back and hips which I now manage though exercise and regular treatment by an Osteopath. In 2006 when I left the Navy I could not stand up straight until about an hour and a long hot shower after I got out of bed, some days getting out of bed itself was excruciating and I would have an episode (which generally left me unable to walk for 1-2 days) about every two months. It has been a long road, but I am now relatively pain free, completely drug free and have only had one episode in a 16 month period where I couldn't walk for a week (and yes Rach, I did it running intervals). What this journey has taught me is to listen, and observe my own body's reaction to exercise/everything because when you can't move, can't manage simple tasks like bending down and raising one foot to put on your undies without mind blowing agony, you really start to appreciate the magnificent feeling that we take for granted - movement without thought.

I had my bikes set up for me at various times in the past and to be honest, from when I started, it was more comfortable each time. But I was really only getting around with 1.5 legs, because whenever I tried to push either on the flat and always when climbing uphill, it felt like my left thigh, about 2 inches above my knee was just knotted, pulling and burning in agony. And when I was not warmed up - forget it! I couldn't do much beyond spin. Other issues I had were that I was constantly trying to screw my left foot straight and what I had recently noticed, was that on the up-stroke of my left foot, my left knee would kick out to the side, and consequently I was not pushing down on the pedal stroke, I was pushing down and back in. I was effectively using a stabilising muscle, as the main muscle, and my quad was not being engaged effectively. Hence the burning, as the mini muscle was getting smashed! I also know that my left leg is slightly longer than my right leg and my pelvis is twisted around to the left too.

I'm not a physio (Leonie - feel free to edit if I'm getting a bit carried away) but in my experience pain, especially uneven pain, like I was experiencing when cycling, is probably a good sign that something is not right. There are lots of possibilities, not stretching enough, fatigue, muscle soreness, pelvic instability, lack of core strength, incorrect shoe set up, incorrect seat height, having your handlebars too far up, or away or too close, having back problems, uneven leg length, the list goes on and not being an professional in this area I can only speak from my own trial, error, experience and observation.

But I wanted to share this with everyone, because on Sunday night after considering my pain (a 21km TT will do that for you - 42 minutes of unadulterated 'oh crap that hurts' consideration), observing my funky knee action and consulting with my Osteo, I had the position of the cleats on my shoes moved and my bike seat moved up and back by Steven Callahan. (Measurements etc were taken before and after to ensure that I was within all the normal limits of bike fits).

The result? 3 CR's up Mt Stromlo, NO lower back pain, NO screwing my feet about in my shoes to get the right knee/ankle alignment, NO pushing back in my seat, NO lower back pain and NO KNEE/THIGH PAIN at all!! It was amazing. It was enjoyable, almost, but most of all it was comfortable. The only pain I was in was what I would consider to be 'normal' pain for what I was trying to do.

I just thought I'd share my story of the experience I have had with not having my bike set up right. How it has probably stopped my cycling development for the past few years and how, ultimately it would have caused me some injury in the overworked muscle and lower back (which was compensating).

And about how important it is to consider all of the options (if you don't know the options, ask around) if you are experiencing discomfort on the bike. The hundred dollars or so you spend on getting your position on the bike professionally adjusted, could save you a whole lot more in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better on the bike. Thanks for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Ange! Couldn't agree more. Had no idea you were having so much discomfort on the bike. Its fantastic that you've got the right set up now with no more pain (other than the right sort of pain!). I had my bike set up by a physio friend and there is so much more to it than just seat height. And it definitely is an individual thing - there is no one size fits all.
    So glad to hear you've got it sorted - there will be no stopping you now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Ange - also think its great you finally got it sorted but given how much speed and grunt you had in pain, i can only imagine how much harder I am going to have to work to keep up with you now that you are pain free! So.. I'm very happy for you, not so happy for myself!!!

    ReplyDelete