Friday, July 15, 2011

When can I ride my bike?

That is the question I have been asking my torture therapist on a weekly basis for a bit over a month now.


I've finally succumbed and have decided to write my first blog; I guess it will explain why I haven't made it to any training sessions. I've managed just one, which as I was tapering had to finish early. I also got to one skills session and that's been about it for me. My plan was to do a triathlon and come back and focus on riding for a while and try and get some confidence bunch riding, descending and generally work on becoming a stronger rider. Unfortunately that plan slowly unravelled as the hours passed on the 5th of June.


Two days before the event I knew something wasn't right with my foot and I knew exactly what it was but couldn't figure out how it could be possible. How could I possibly have another stress fracture?! I'd been reduced to pool running for the previous 3 weeks due to a different foot injury so tried to convince myself that it wasn't a stress fracture. I got my confirmation on the bike leg though, each time I had to get out of the saddle that familiar and unwanted pain was there. Doubts entered my head, would it survive 180km and a marathon after that? I pushed the doubts aside; I couldn't let them take over otherwise I really wouldn't finish.


Just 200m into the run I realised I could no longer land on my mid foot and I was forced to land on my heel, which was already inflamed by a different injury. Why oh why did I decide to do another Ironman? Some have questioned why I pushed through knowing there was a stress fracture and there was likelihood that the marathon would inevitably make this worse. I think anyone who has invested so much into preparing for something would find that making that call to pull out hard to make. Yep it was painful, but at no point did I think that I wouldn't be able to finish. I finished and now have a fractured 4th metatarsal. So the past 5 weeks have been about recovery, getting treatment to the Pandora's Box of issues with my feet and getting over having such a disappointing race.


It took me 3 weeks to unpack my bike and put it back together as I knew the desire to ride would be hard to resist once it had been reassembled. Even though I'd been told I couldn't ride not even on the wind trainer I set it up anyway and thought I'd give it a go. I mean I had to make sure I'd put it back together ok :-) Besides 3 weeks had passed, surely I was healed enough to sit and have a little spin? How wrong could I be (hate admitting that). I could barely push through a peddle stroke, obviously I hadn't managed to increase my pain threshold quite high enough. So my bike is continuing to gather dust, but remains set up on the wind trainer as the carrot to get better and get back on it.


The fear around the lost fitness is the hardest thing to deal with at the moment. Swimming and deep water pool running is my exercise at the moment. Not just to try and stay fit but also keep some sanity. This is the longest stretch I've had off the bike; foot surgery didn't even keep me off this long! In my opinion there is never a good time to get injured and am pretty scared about re-joining the group once I'm able. I've missed so many skills sessions and since bunch riding and descending were never a strong point for me I feel I'm going to be behind in fitness and skills when I return.


Maybe next week when I ask the question; 'when can I ride my bike' the answer will be more positive and I can get back out there again soon.

4 comments:

  1. What rotten luck you've had with your feet! Fingers crossed your foot is recovering well and that you get the answer you're after next week.

    Try not to worry too much about your loss of fitness before re-joining the Valkyries. Yes, it's inevitable that you will lose some, but the beauty of having a good base like the one you have is that you'll regain it pretty quickly. You'll probably be quite frustrated with yourself first ride back, but a week or two later you'll be totally inspired by how quickly you're improving. And there will always be Valkyries to ride with, which is the beauty of a group as diverse as the Valkys. And on the plus side, your injury has come at a great time to give you a break during this freezing Canberra Winter!

    Take care and good luck with the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fine Kate, esp as you'd been training for an ironman (woman?). I agree with Lisa, great timing for having an enforced break. Give it 4 weeks from getting back on the bike and you'll be flying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate I can't believe you finished an IRONMAN with a busted foot!!! That just poves you're a seriously hardcore Valkyrie.

    Glad to see you are finally blogging, I think its really important we all stay connected and have this link to each other, between training, not training, injury and recovery. Hang in there, the not training is driving me bananas too.

    See you on the bike again when you're ready :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting this Kate! So close to home for me, I just saw the GP yesterday and he said 6-8 weeks for me before my shoulder is fully healed and I can get out and ride. I was SO sure the other GP at the same practice I saw just after the fracture diagnosis said that it was 4-6 weeks, and I was pretty sure with positive thinking, a good diet and lots of healing sleep I would be on the 4-week mark! ;) Aaah, if only we could will these things into being!

    I'm a little luckier than you in that I can still get on the trainer indoors, I'm planning to do that this week.

    I really hope that you'll be better soon, it would be great to ride with you, and re-discover the great outdoors on a bike!

    ReplyDelete