Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Finally made it to training!

Ok so Tuesday was meant to be my first session back but failure to check emails meant I missed it, so today was it. As I set out to have a little warm up ride before meeting Rach I thought it was a great morning to be out, clear skies and not too cold, but by the time 6 am rolled around so had the fog and I was now not feeling quite so warm.

Just a small group met, 5 of us, my kind of bunch ride! It was actually the perfect way for me to start training and I soon realised that I actually wasn't that nervous and although I wasn't sitting super close to the wheel in front I was a lot closer than I'd maanged in my minimal attempts to bunch ride in the past.

We headed out along the Federal Highway and it just seemed to get foggier, which meant I got a little wetter and a little colder. I was able to stick with everyone for a while but we soon split and the V-Max peeps were a long way ahead and I was conscious of trying not to slow Rach down. I got lots of helpful hints from Rach throughout the ride which helped me to ride more smoothly and not spin so much. We re-grouped and were together again for a short while, this time a few drills thrown in, which threw me a bit and showed my inability to mix up my speed. (Triathlon is one long time trial).

We turned and headed back in and Rach taught me a few more drills that will require a fair bit of practice for me to get up to scratch. 3 x 10's (my legs are really unfit) and bike benders, cycling drills have much cooler names than running ones :)

Huge thanks to Rach for all your advice this morning and slowing to let me catch up on more than one occasion. Thanks also to the V-max guys, today was a good introduction to group rides and helped me get a little bit of confidence that I'll be able to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Kate!! So great to hear you're back!

    I totally understand about building up your confidence again with bunch riding. Coming back from my crash I'm so wary and unconfident riding close to others, descending etc. I guess it just takes time and practice.

    If you want to do some rides together to practice general bike handling skills and getting more comfortable, I'd be real keen!

    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you enjoyed your first ride back. Hopefully blue skies next week! Sorry I didn't say goodbye when you turned (I didn't realise you were heading back there). Hopefully see you out next week!

    ReplyDelete