Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Getting Back On The Bike

It's been 11 weeks since I've ridden outside and the latest visit to Mr X-ray finally showed that the fracture was calcifying. So it was time to get out of the Evil boot I'd been forced to wear (better than a fibreglass cast!) and push a bit harder on the Wind Trainer. I'm grateful for the recent wet weather as it forced me to have another week on the WT, cause if I was honest I wasn't ready to ride outside.

To test my foot out I chose my regular early morning loop as it gave me plenty of chances to turn around if things weren't going well. The first little hill I managed to do seated with no pain, given my cleat position in relation to the fracture I knew this was a good sign. During the ride I practised climbing out of the saddle as well as seated, sprinting in my drop and threw in some time trialling, not only to keep it intersting but to really see how my foot would cope.

It took me two outside rides to realise that I really do want to continue or more to the point really start training with Valkyrie. Being injured gives you too much time to think and I'd convinced myself that I would never be able to bunch ride or race and keep up with eveyone. However since I have no desire to ever do another Ironman there is no reason why I can't focus on getting some confidence bunch riding. So I'm looking forward to coming along to Tuesday's session and hopefully many more to come.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! this is exciting news! Glad to hear you have healed up. I'd like to note that in Valkyrie official statistics, 100% of Insane people who enter Ironmans, end up with stress fractures, which is why - alas - we have lost weaves for the time being.

    Good decision to get back to the bike Kate, looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday! You can also meet our other Kate, miss huckstep who is also coming back from a long break (and giving Ches a run for her money, both on the bike and in coolness stakes).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic Kate :) It will be great riding with you. Will be my first full week back on the bike too!

    Rach - oh no, has Haylee got a stress fracture too? I knew she was doing a half IM sometime soon...

    ReplyDelete