Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Valko-Maxx Strip Tease

Wednesday's training session on the program called for a rec ride, of 20-30 minutes, however there was some mild confusion with thursdays sesssion which was planned for a longer 30-60 minute session.

At any rate, 3 Valkyries and a Vmaxx showed up at 6am in the city for a ride heading north, including
Brad, me, Anna and Verity making her return to form.

Given the balmy temperatures of 5 degrees I busted out the summer bibnix, with a long sleeve thermal, jersey and arm warmers. Kind of cool to be getting back into summer kit - I find I ride better without all the thick winter layers on.

We formed a nice bunch and got moving without working too hard, practicing some high cadence and explaining the sprint drills from yesterdays session.

There was enough energy for some chatting but once we hit the Federal Hwy Verity made up her missing sprints and shortly after the hill Anna turned to head back, dutifully following the program!

Rach and Verity continued on with Brad and enjoyed a spectacular sunrise all the way to the Tulip Farm turn, where we turned to head back into town.

The light rain started once we were back on Northbourne and it was about then that a niggling numbness in my hands started to hurt a bit and get quite annoying.

Popular opinion was that my arm warmers, over the top of a thermal were the culprit so each traffic light saw an arm being peeled off - which gave Brad the idea of commuter strip tease and the suggestion that we'd better get to the Pickle quickly before I ran out of removeable layers.

We made it to the pickle without breaking decency laws, enjoyed a coffee and headed off to work - pleased with ourselves that we had a really enjoyable, good session before the rain really set in.

Feels good to be training.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great ride Rach. Speaking of kit - I'm currently spending a lot of time laughing at the cyclists I'm seeing up on the roads here at Noosa (and surrounds). They're all wearing longs, booties and jackets (and probably armwarmers underneath!), which I find hilarious given that the temperatures up here are mid teens overnight and mid 20s during the day! One fellow mentioned to me yesterday that he wouldn't go out in anything less than 10 degrees (sometimes I wish I could employ a similar rule, but that rule would basically rule out cycling at all in Winter!). Looking forward to getting my kit off you over coming weeks as Winter fast disappears into Spring (hoorah!). ;-)

    ReplyDelete