Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Tuesday's Training Session - 31/5/11

I found this morning’s session really good...its always nice to get back from a ride feeling really satisfied. It didn’t hurt that it was 5 degrees.

We started with three sprints between Old Parliament House and New Parliament House, which definitely woke me up, I felt I was pushing it harder each time. We then made our way up Melbourne Avenue to drudge up Mugga Way, doing some paceline work. When the gaps became too large due to the hills we all worked hard just to get to the end, while trying to leave some in reserve for the ride up Red Hill.

We all did one Red Hill, and everyone did really well turning their legs over. Rach and I did another 2 reps for good measure with Jeremy egging us on to sprint up the last peak.

While I don’t find hills enjoyable, I always feel like I’ve accomplished a lot at the end and know that the hard work will make me stronger.

This Thursday we continue the hill work with some laps around the embassies in Yarralumla. For those who came last week we will be adding another lap.

I hope to see everyone there.

Welcome to our new girls who joined us today and did really well.

GWS to Paddy who came off his bike on the Parliament House sprints. I hope your bike is ok!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the training report Verity! I'll be keen to see some comments from Linda as it was her first session, and Anna - who I imagine is feeling pretty proud of her efforts chasing down both me and honorary Valkyrie Pat along Mugga Way, first rider to the top so well done Anna! Although I'm pretty sure next time Anna will have to do extra Red Hills since she is going so fast.

    Thanks to Jeremy and Chris K, and get well soon Paddy, a good reminder to take it easy on corners and especially so if the ground is damp, even if its just wet from sprinkler run off.

    Bunch work on Mugga was a bit sketchy this morning, luckily we are doing some bunch practice at Saturday's skills session, and Sundays PROD so we can keep a better formation happening.

    I'm feeling that third rep on Red Hill now...
    Thanks also to the riders this am for some smiles, I'm having kind of an awful week, my dog passed away yesterday so the training was a good distraction.

    --Cap'n.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad that I missed it..stomach was feeling a bit rough this morning. I got a little confused for a moment when I saw my name in Rach's comment before I realised it was the other Linda! I might have to become Linda H in future posts to avoid confusion.

    Sorry to hear about your doggie Rach - it's always horrible losing a pet, they become like part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the session despite the beginnings of a cold (coutesy of one of my children!).

    I thought the session was very well planned (thanks Simon!). And I actually thought the bunch work was okay, but to my mind there was a bit of confusion about the pace we should keep on Mugga Way (to make sure no one gets dropped) and when exactly the paceline stopped and the next effort began. It was great to see so many cyclists on Red Hill - gotta love Canberra!

    I won't be at the session on Saturday as I will be racing with the Vets (if this cold clears up in time!).

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had great fun this morning - thanks Rach for the encouragement up the hills. :) I think I need to work on the sprints though, I felt pretty slow on the reps between the parliament houses.

    It was awesome to have so many people in the bunch - at this time of year I'm usually wondering if there'll be anyone for me to ride with.

    ReplyDelete