Thursday, June 9, 2011

LK's first training session

Well, Rach was brave enough to post about her first training session, so I thought I'd have a go at describing mine. Some of you have met me, some haven't, as I'm a bit hit and miss with training at the moment, thanks to two small people (AKA kids under the age of 4), work, moving house, stupid cold, etc, but I'm hoping to rectify my slackness in getting out on the bike v soon. Anyway, enough of that...

I actually started cycling in 2006 so am soon to celebrate my 5th anniversary of road cycling. One of the guys at my work suggested that we put in a team for the Hartley Lifecare Cycle Challenge and I was one of those who put up their hand to participate. Sure I'd never been on a road bike, but surely I would be able to ride 454km over 3 days in just over 3 months time. First thing was first - I needed a bike!

After probably not enough shopping around, I settled on my first road bike. I remember the guys at the shop telling me to take it for a spin around the block to see how it felt. I couldn't figure out how to change gears, let alone use the brakes. It was pretty lucky that I managed to stay upright! Anyway, I took it home and thought I was halfway to Hartley already. Hmmm...

Next issue was kit. I had a pair of knicks and a jersey. It was August in Canberra. Yes, that's right, I didn't even own any gloves. I did a few solo rides on weekends in my knicks and jersey and got a few strange looks from passersby, including the odd comment about my level of optimism re the temperature. Yes, I was a complete gumby.

Then someone suggested that I should try some of the bunch rides with the Bilbys (local triathlon club for those that haven't come across them yet). So I turned up one Saturday morning feeling eager to get cracking as a real cyclist. I intended to do a short ride, but there were no takers for the short ride, so I joined in the slow medium-distance bunch, which (no offence to anyone who was there at the time!) seemed to be populated with people largely over the age of 60. I felt fine for the first 25km and contemplated turning around, which was what I intended, but decided to keep going with the group because, as I say, I felt fine. Little did I know that 5km further up the road I would experience bonking in a way I've never experienced since. I had nothing. I couldn't turn the pedals over. I could barely speak to the people around me. And I still had 40km of hills in front of me (yes, I chose Cotter-Uriarra as my first bunch ride!). I remember getting to Uriarra crossing after the 3 sisters descent (we did the loop counter-clockwise that time) and I had to get off my bike and walk it up the hill. I was so embarrassed. Here was I, somewhere between a third to half the age of the people in my group, and I just could not keep up. I kept trying to tell them to go on without me, but they refused to leave me out there on my own (probably good in a way as I had no idea how to change a tyre, let alone where I was!). Someone asked me what I'd had to eat, and I remember thinking what a strange question it was. I had never contemplated needing food on a 70km+ ride so certainly didn't have any on me. I guess that explains why I had bonked so badly. Still, I took it as more evidence of how terrible I actually was.

I distinctly remember limping home up Northbourne Avenue, being so relieved that the bunch ride had actually ended so that I could stop having to try and keep up. I had never and haven't since experienced such exhaustion. To give a good indication of how exhausted I actually was - a friend had given me a ticket to the Placebo concert in Canberra that night and I actually fell asleep in the middle of the concert...

I probably would have thrown it in right there and then if I hadn't already committed to doing Hartley that year. It was a bit of a rude awakening to what cycling actually entails, but I can say retrospectively it was a welcome awakening. I went on to riding solidly - got up to riding 5 times a week by the time Hartley was on. Not only did I manage to do the entire event (which was my initial goal) I ended up being one of the stronger ones in my team. I was totally chuffed each time someone commented how much stronger I was getting. Believe me, it was only another fortnight before the "slow medium-distance" bunch of the Bilbys was too slow for me! The first 2-3 weeks were the hardest but then it all started to work. Yes, I'll probably always wish I was a bit faster / stronger (and had more time to train!), but riding doesn't seem to be a struggle for me anymore. I hop on my bike and feel strong and free - it's the only time I really get to just be me in the fresh air, no airs and graces, just me pushing myself to the limits and see what I can do, not to mention the fantastic company I have on my rides (cycling is my perfect sport as I can talk and exercise at the same time!). I've spent a fair bit of time off the bike since I first started in 2006 (in fact, I've unfortunately spent more time off the bike than on), but it's been easier and easier each time to get back on.

To put this further in perspective, what I've described is the horror of my first bunch ride, which was actually not even a training session. There was no real pushing to limits or anything like the girls would have been doing this morning. To Megan and all you other ladies who chose the Thursday session to make your debut with the VVs, my hat goes off to you - the Thursday session is (from what I understand) the hardest of the VV sessions and to get out there and give it your all, well, you ladies will go far. :-)

Go Team VV!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Rach and Lisa. Your stories make my first bunch ride seem like a walk in the park!

    ReplyDelete