Sunday, June 19, 2011

Racing with the Vets

Watching those trees bend in the wind as I’m driving to Look Out Hill for another Saturday Vets race makes me groan. I really hate windy races! So as the nerves mounted I just reminded myself that everyone else in the race has the same wind to contend with and I’ll have to be strategic about where I sit in the bunch……

I’ve been racing with the Vets now for about 18months. It’s a fantastic club that really makes all newcomers feel welcome and has a great summer and winter road racing program that provides variety and good competition. The other advantage is that it has lots of different grades so that you can find which level best suits you and work up from there. It has been my intention to work up from F grade, but I’ve not yet had the confidence to make the leap. Firstly because I still feel fairly new to racing in comparison to many of the other experienced Vets, and secondly because I’ve slowly learnt the strengths and weakness of some of the regular F graders and that gives me the confidence to go back week after week to keep on having a go at racing hoping that I will get better over time.

Well this weekend’s race was 42kms and was a good one for spectators as we passed the start/finish point several times as we made our way between Point Hut and Tharwa three times (A-D grades had a longer course). I was pleased to have both my sisters there to support me. Of course Pat would also have liked to be racing, but she is recovering from her fall last week and it’ll be a while before she can ride in a bunch again.

I rode a pretty conservative race as I was keen to be with the lead bunch at the finish and it was clear from the beginning that there was a strong bloke (whom I hadn’t raced with before) that was capable of making a break and I wanted to have the legs to go with it when it happened. He made a few attempts, the first one being on the steep down hill after the start/finish point at the beginning of the second lap. I spotted it early and got on his wheel. I had to make such an effort to keep up with him (as going down hill fast is not one of my strengths) that I couldn’t help out in the break, so eventually the majority of the group closed the gap. I think with the next couple of attempts for a breakaway there was seven out of the 13 of us left. The steady rise from Point Hut to Tidbinbilla Rd threatened to blow a few more off, but by this time the strong bloke’s legs gave out and another very experienced rider made a break for it. I closed it, but at the same time led the rest of the seven to his wheel. Just as I was recovering from my effort to close the gap, I could hear three or four from the back of the group ramp it up for the final 500 metres up to the finish. I took a deep breath, looked for a gap to jump out and caught a good wheel of a lady whom I knew would keep a good pace to the finish. I tried to come around her but she was too strong so I thought I was in for second place, but low and behold who should be on my side but ‘Liz’ – our fellow Valkyrie. She pipped me on the line for a well deserved second place.

All in all a very satisfying Saturday afternoon’s work!

1 comment:

  1. Well done Angie and Liz. Great work! And glad to hear that Pat was well enough to come and support - hopefully her recovery will be v quick and we'll see her back on the bike soon.

    ReplyDelete