Tuesday, June 7, 2011

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!

So I went to see a dietitian this week, first time I've ever been to one, because I wanted to know more about what to eat.

When I first began training with a Squad, I had expected to quickly embody a lithe, cyclists frame - but was surprised to find instead of trimming down, I actually put on 3 or 4 kgs.

Part of this was due to suddenly finding myself at a lot of post ride breakfasts. Initially, I held out since I was used to my muesli at my work desk, post ride but gradually coffee became toast, which became eggs and toast, then progressed to pancakes and finally french toast. Mmmmmmm SO yummy, but sadly - way more calories each week than i was burning.

Another thing that tripped me up was getting confused about 'sport nutrition' - all those energy powders and energy bars.

Other cyclists (blokes) were telling me they always had energy powder in their drink bottles (both for training and racing), that they ate before and during training and favoured energy bars. So I followed suit.

But this again helped me pile on the kgs. It's a really easy trap to fall into, and I think especially so if you are training into winter. It's cold, and every fibre of your being says 'stay in bed, it's warm here', so a little sugary drink and a chocolate & peanut bar followed by a yummy brekkie and two coffees seems like a good reward.

Two tips I've learned recently:

  1. Exercise under 90 minutes doesn't require you to take on fuel while you are doing it - provided you are getting the right amount of energy and nutrition from your regular eating.
  2. You don't need nearly as much protein as you think, and protein comes from a lot of sources - including all those coffees.
  3. During a race (over 90 minutes) you will need to take on fuel. Unless you've practiced this, it will be difficult to do quickly. (as i learned recently during the Coolamon Classic when i tried to catch a passing bunch and also chew at the same time)
So, based on the advice of my dietitian, I am testing out for the next couple of weeks - not putting any energy drink in my bottle, and having one breakfast instead of two.

It might be difficult or require a bit of adjustment - i'll report back on how i go!


3 comments:

  1. do you know how many calories per hour that you are burning while doing trainnig rides?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post Rach - especially for someone new joining the squad. Will keep in mind the comments re the energy drinks and bars!!

    Maja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah thanks Boz, good point. I do wear a Garmin Edge 500 HR monitor (when I can find it and it's not lost somewhere in my apartment).

    And sadly, I don't burn the kinds of calories during weekly training sessions that would allow me to both lose weight, (I have a few kgs to drop) eat big cyclist brekkies, eat all my normal day to day food and then have energy bars and energy drinks on top.

    What the dietician did do is look at my day to day eating and increase some of the macronutrients (CARBS!!) and basically my daily meals and snacks should be enough for the time being - obviously with some extra during races.

    It's important to get something that works for each person though.

    ReplyDelete