Thursday, June 16, 2011

Red Hill Repeats (why oh why?)

So the morning started well, I got out of bed easily (strange, but it is getting easier), it was a pretty warm morning and it was still – especially compared to the gale on Stromlo on Tuesday morning!!

Having completed 3 repeats of Stromlo on Tuesday, staying in the saddle the whole time and being chuffed I made it once let alone three times I was pretty confident this morning would be just as manageable… I was also convinced that since it was a lot shorter than Stromlo it was most likely going to be easier which is why we were down to do 6 repeats and not 3……. hmmmm.

Only three of us rolled up the hill at 6am, incidentally just as Tony Abbott was finishing his last repeat, and the other Valkyries arrived a little later. My recovering quads noticed straight away that the hill pinched up very quickly and before I new it I was dropping gears to try keep my cadence right… until I couldn’t drop them any further! Hats off to you girls that managed a harder gear! I welcomed the ‘flat section’ at the turn off half way up the mountain – didn’t feel all that flat to me! And before I knew it the hill pinched up again. I had some time out of the saddle during the last straight before the top, not sure how much it helped though! I was stoked to get there– and the view was well and truly worth it – its been a long time since I’d been up red hill at night. Brad took us around a little loop at the top of Red Hill as a bit of a recovery before we rolled back down the mountain. I’m looking forward to joining the v-mobile boys for their descending skills session on Saturday morning because it was a quick and tight descent, and sure enough, there were pedestrians and bikes everywhere.

My second lap was an effort. Had to stop on the flat at the turn off this time – surprising what a little rest does – but unfortunately was out of the saddle for the most of the ride up to the top and had to recruit every muscle and bit of heart I had… It was hard!! We passed Rach and Cheska on the way down – both in fine form I must say – and I’m sure there were other Valkyries but I called it a day there. Not sure I went home with one rep left… maybe a half… but either way, I’m stoked with my effort - sure I have a bit to go but am certain it wont be nearly as hard next time; and fingers crossed, next time I’ll be punching out three.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha "flat section" - that's always a funny joke.

    Well done Maja, you can expect sore legs tomorrow. I think in the end the final Red Hill Rep scores were:

    Rach: 6 (sorry Cheska, I went back later in the arvo for some Secret Janing* to beat your score)
    Cheska: 5
    Liz: 4
    AngeB: 2.5
    Maja: 2



    *Secret Janing: the not very secret practice (generally involves telling people you are doing it and inviting them along) of being hardcore like Jane and climbing lots of hills. Will result in Jane-like speed up hills.
    **No one is quite sure how to get fast like LisaK up hills though...some suggest a zen mountain-goat like meditative state where you refer to hills as "what hill?"

    On that note, Jane is doing some Secret Janing next week at Black Mountain, for anyone who is game?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I am very much looking forward to a training report from Leonie at her first Valkyrie session this morning....hint hint

    ReplyDelete