Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Training Report - Stromlo Climbing Repeats

Today definitely felt like the workout it was intended to be; my brief report:

Up at 4:55 (I must be insane)

Got every single red light along Northbourne, so i was heading into town swearing at each intersection - apologies to Tom Behrens who (it turns out) was behind me.

Rolled away from the City with LindaR and Verity at 5:33 and formed a single line out to Stromlo, with some nice pace along Adelaide Ave. Felt smooth and safe, thanks Ladies.

Arrived at Stromlo to find a bit of a party there were so many of us there -

Valkyries:
Rach
Verity
LindaR
Lisa
Maja
Anna
Angie
Liz
Jane

Mentors:
Brad
Rob

We all got in our big gears for the climbs, I was convinced Lisa was in her small ring she was climbing so fast - but alas, she was in fact in the big ring.

I then comforted myself that she probably has compact gearing, but no win there either as she's on full size cogs just like me :(

Felt pretty proud of myself climbing the whole thing, in the saddle in my big ring - haven't done that before.

I think most of us got three reps in, including Maja - huge effort on your first time climbing Stromlo so well done (and look out Lisa!!).

The descents felt SUPER sketchy thanks to a brutal cross wind and big gusts on some of the corners. Tried to work on good lines, but some 4WD morons were driving up the center line so I took it pretty easy. Tried to practice not reacting when leaning into a corner and suddenly a big gust of wind blows you upright. Not Fun.

Thanks to the blokes for coming out, and DaveP for getting us back to the City, I was feeling pretty tired and sketchy on the way back so it was nice to have you and Verity for company.

Excuse me now while i go sleep under my desk.

Quick Stats:
Time: 2:39 on the bike
Calories: 960
Hill reps: 3

5 comments:

  1. Nice one! There are plenty of roos on Stromlo and Ainslie, waiting to leap in front of you on the way down, so take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent session. Thank you to all. Rest assured I will be researching new lights asap!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good plan Angie - I heartily recommend the Ay Ups. They're just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit hearing that howling wind this morning put me off coming along - I'm kind of glad I didn't come after reading this!

    I'm a bit over this weather, why can't we have some nice, still, crisp and sunny winter weather like Canberra is renowned for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice work Team! I must say I had a ball, despite the blustery conditions. It was one of those rides that inspires you to keep riding, and riding, and riding! I forgot to turn my Garmin off when I put the bike in the car, so now have some interesting stats from my ride... That said, the feeling in my legs isn't lying in telling me that I was indeed working this morning. Now to make it upstairs to bed... :-)

    ReplyDelete