Thursday, June 2, 2011

Newbie : )

WOW! I had such a great time this morning! Such a friendly bunch you all are! And it is really great that you have a couple of the blokes riding with you to encourage, hone your skills and push you through the harder parts.

I think it also helped that it wasn’t too cold this morning... probably not warm enough remove leg and arm warmers like I saw some crazy cats do... but was still really nice. As I said in my other post it was my first ever bunch ride and it was really good to get the down-low of dos and don’ts of bunch riding from Michael on the warm up to Yarralumla and then talk them through again with Rach and Brett during one of the recoveries... (it is Brett right? I am so bad with names – apologies if its Luke.... or Graham..... or Bob! ; )

I found the circuit itself was really good... got harder each time but a really good combination of effort and recovery. Think I will need to work on my pacing though – felt pretty strong on the first lap (mind you I honestly don’t know how I got to be beside Rach at the front of the group for part of the first lap) but boy did I feel it in the second lap..... and third lap...... and fourth lap.

Although the third was probably hardest for me – lucky I had both Brett and Michael by my side for one of the longer climbs! Tell you I could feel the power draining out of my legs with each stroke.... but it was still a really relaxed and fun atmosphere (go figure!). And funnily enough the group was never really spread too far apart which was excellent. I am really surprised I ended up doing a fourth lap – bit of encouragement I think did it - and I guess if you’re rolling along at the start and so is the rest of the group you’re kinda in it. I think I was carried a bit by Michael on this lap as I followed his line a few times– thank you!

All in all a great morning and not as bad as I thought. Was challenging – but not so hard I will be dreading getting out of bed next week! Thanks again! See you all at the skill session on Saturday (will be kind to my legs and bail on tomorrow :)

Maja

5 comments:

  1. I was hoping we'd get the sequal to yesterday's post! Great write up and lovely photo, Maja.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff! Welcome to the gang Maja!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post and fab photo, Maja! It was so nice to meet you and the other girls and guys I hadn't already met previously.

    Such a great supportive, positive vibe in the group :) I was so happy for the rest of the day at work (even with difficult customers!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Maja and welcome to the Valkyries!

    ReplyDelete