Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pro Tip



Here's a tip:

When your bike makes a funny noise, stop, turn it upside-down and have a look.

Mine started making a noise when i tried to switch to the big ring shortly before I dropped off the back of the Norman bunch ride on Friday. Unsure what it might be I just avoided using the big ring for the rest of the ride, and again today.

Assuming it would be something technical beyond my expertise I was all ready to phone a mechanic friend, Sir Callahan of 'Carbon Y Cuban' bike workshop ACT, when I thought I'd have a quick look.

Within thirty seconds of winding the pedals over in the big ring, I discovered my Garmin cadence sensor (small magnet that is meant to be attached to the pedal arm) had come loose, magnetically latched on to the chain, and was wedged inside the derailleur.

It came right out again, but I shudder to think that it could have easily made me come off the bike if it had decided to magnetise itself to the inside of the chain rather than the outside.

Moral of the story is - even if you're a beginner lady, any weird new sounds that you haven't heard before - stop and have a look!

Now if I can just fix my neck before tomorrows training ride...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this Rach, it's good to be reminded to look for simple things rather than assuming all sounds are going to be some complicated thing that has to be fixed by an expert (and to remember to check things before they potentially cause an accident!)

    A little while ago I had this squeak which was driving me nuts, got two separate bike mechanics to check out the bike, they couldn't find anything. I finally figured out a bit later on that it was the plastic bit on my saddlepack velcro loop rubbing against the seatpost when my legs hit it as I pedalled! Fixed with a little rubber piece underneath :)

    ReplyDelete